CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 27, 2011

It Can't Be Done

Carson has been obsessed lately with owning a BB gun. He talks about it constantly, wants his Mom and I to agree to get him one, wants a time line for when this purchase will happen, and on and on. He REALLY wants one.

So I drop the challenge on him yesterday....'I want to see you listen better than you have recently. You also need to help out around the house more than you have been.' It took him about about a day to marinate on those marching orders but today after school, he was ready to give it a shot.

He asks me again if he can get a BB gun; I again set the ground rules. Once we get home, he's off.....putting clothes away, letting the dogs out, feeding the animals, and pulling sheets out of the dryer to make his bed. He's literally gone for about 30 minutes doing things to help me out while I make dinner......and it's quiet around the house. Absolutely no fighting with his sister.

When Carson arrives downstairs for dinner, he has that look of accomplishment on his face and I make sure he knows that he's doing a great job meeting my expectations. Then he asks the question: 'Can I get a BB gun now?'

Well, that's a start but I expect you to continue on this path.....

This was apparently the wrong thing to say to an 8 year old. He put his head down and said, 'I just can't do this every day.'

Apparently being nice to his sister (and lending a hand around the house) is something that can't be done!

0 comments: